Tuesday, June 12, 2007

"The Blue Nowhere" Blog #1

One assignment for this class is to read the novel "The Blue Nowhere" by Jeffery Deaver. The novel is about a murderer who collects information about his victims by "cracking" into their computers. Oddly enough, I read this novel around the time that it was published several years ago. My mom and I are voracious readers and trade books. However, being such an avid reader has its downfalls, as I don't remember everything that happened in the book. Consequently, I am rereading it and enjoying it equally as much the second time around. I am not quite half way through it yet, but I had to take a break from it to work on other assignments. I find myself being scared silly by the premise of this book yet again. I cannot wrap my mind around the fact that people like the character "Phate" really exist. I am not very technologically savvy and I do not understand how people are able to "hack" and "crack" into other people's computers, but I do realize that it is something real that happens and that thought is terrifying. I find myself thinking about things that I do on my computer at home that I might change to try and protect myself from people like this. I am currently working on coming up with new passwords and making sure that I am very careful with my personal information. I can't wait to continue reading!

No comments: