Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ethics for the Information Age, Chp. 5

In this chapter of the reading, I was most interested in the topic of identity theft. It's such a scary thought, but one that everyone definitely needs to be aware of. The closest I've ever come to this issue was when I had a roommate whose credit card company notified her because they noticed suspicious activity on her account. What a lucky break for her! Unfortunately, we can't always count on being that lucky. In the text, the author discusses the REAL ID Act, which would essentially be a national ID card for citizens of the US. I can agree with points made for both sides of this issue. I definitely think that we need to have stricter guidelines for getting a driver's license (multiple forms of ID for example). Also, I have known so many people over the years (especially in college!) who were able to get their hands on a reliable fake ID. It seems there should be some way to make the IDs harder to counterfeit. So in these ways, I think the REAL ID Act would be a good thing. However, on the flip side, there are concerns that too much information would be available in one file. This is a disturbing thought, but I can't really think of any viable alternatives. So basically, this part of the chapter really made me think about things that my family and I need to do to try and safeguard ourselves against identity theft. I think our best defense in this case is keeping ourselves informed.

1 comment:

Hannah LaRue said...

Heather,

I agree that identity theft is a scary thing. When my husband and I were living in New York City, there were several times that our credit card companies called about suspicious activity. That was pretty scary, but also reassuring to know that the companies were keeping such a close eye on things. I think the realy issue with identity theft, though, is that almost every business uses social security numbers as and identifier or password. That can lead to real problems. All someone needs to do is get your ss# and they can wreak havoc on your life.